The Founders of Satellite Beach
The Hedgecocks & Cousin Jimmy Caudle: Jimmy (center) working with Hub (left)
R1: Irma (Hub), Percy, Annie (Shine) and Shine (right)
R2: Birchal (Father), Hub, Helen (Percy), June, & Shine
17 May 1958. The City Emblem is Launched
To promote the new town of Satellite Beach, a "satellite"
was erected on A1A between Harwood and Glenwood
Avenues. Brothers Shine and Hub Hedgecock along with
cousin Jimmy Caudle, built a sphere made of sheet metal
measuring five feet in diameter with metal cups attached to
catch the wind and make the satellite rotate. On launch day,
the PAFB Commander and other Space Program
dignitaries were present to watch and participate in putting
the satellite into orbit. As a tractor pulled the tower cables,
a small charge of dynamite was detonated sending bundles
of talcum powder into the air like smoke from a rocket
engine. With the tower erect and secured, the satellite
rotated in the breeze to the pleasure and amazement of the crowd. Unfortunately, the satellite remained aloft for less
than a year (Mar 1959) with the tower succumbing to
corrosion and high wind. Pictured atop the tower on launch
day is city resident Betty Atkins.
1958. First Restaurant Opens
21 Dec 1958. City Hall and Fire Department Complex
The first City Hall and Fire Dept were all housed in one building and built on land donated by Percy Hedgecock. The entire complex cost the City $6500 and was built in 4 months by volunteer labor. The first Police Dept office space was located in a residential house located on the east side of City Hall.
March 1959. Golf fundraiser with Sam Snead
Sam Snead prepares to Tee off with Paul Pruitt and Hub Hedgecock. Hub's son Mark (far right) stands by as caddie for his Dad.
L - R : Unk, June Hedgecock, Sam Snead, Percy Hedgecock, Sam Snead and Lou Pavlokos
Frank Clark, and Ted Craver
The golf tournament was held on the the par-3 course located behind the Skyline restaurant. Attorney Frank Clark organized the event with the goal of raising money to build the city's first Little League baseball field. Participating golfers would play one round against world-renowned golfer Sam Snead who at the time had already won seven major tournement including the Masters and PGA Championship. Each participating golfer donated $75 and $50 for their caddies. Ted Craver was one of the few golfers that shot a better round than the champ that day. "Slammin, Sammy" was known for his folksy image, wearing a straw hat, and keeping his nickels and dimes close. At the end of the day, Skyline Restaurant owner Lou Pavlokos purchased Snead's hat for $75 which he donated to the event and the agreed fee was given to Mr Snead in a sealed tin can (the going joke was Snead buried his winnings in his back yard sealed in tin cans). Also of note, the land Olsen Field was built on was given to the city by the owners: Mr Olsen (largest % land owner), Jimmy Caudle, Percy and Shine Hedgecock. The building of Olsen Field was done by an all volunteer labor force lead by the Hedgecock brothers.